June 29, 2018

Finally, Holdridge

The Holdridge system is probably a bit more useful than the Koppen system for figuring out what things look like on the ground. At least, it's a start.


  • After redoing some of the temperatures, the ice-cap has been knocked down to a reasonable area. I still need to redo the rain so that the lines aren't quite so sharp. The number of ice-capped peaks has also been reduced, which is good. Those should be rarer than they were.
  • It's hard to remember that the continent on the right is not so much tall as it is wide/long. I tend to think of the interior as an inaccessible desert, but it's really only a month's journey from the sea. Of course, since its horizontally oriented, winds aren't as likely to blow directly inland.
  • Possibly because of the rain, there's not as much desert as I'd like to see. Deserts are thematically fun, and only two of them seems a bit sparse.
  • One thing I will look into soon: right now I use January and July as my summer and winter maps (and of course it's opposite seasons in each hemisphere). Going forward I'll be tinkering to see if I can use the "hottest" and "coldest" month each year to do the relevant annual sinusoidal approximations instead. For example, in the high latitudes, the hottest month will tend towards January; and in the lower, July. But I need a better understanding of how this works on Earth, first.

No comments:

Post a Comment