June 25, 2018

Finally, Koppen

The final fruits of my labors so far (key and comparison here):

Koppen map
A few things to note.
  • I think I need to revisit how I match up the seams. For example, for the continent on the left that wraps from the top up around to the bottom, the orange area (BSh, semi-arid desert) transitions abruptly to blue Af (tropical rainforest). This happens in a few other places as well, but I'd like more gradual seams around the edges to make it apparent that the map is continuous. In addition, I need to revisit the precursor maps to make sure there is enough of a transition in these areas.
  • Not all climate groups are represented. In fact, only 18 of the 32 possible climates are present. That's very interesting.
  • I still have a massive ice cap. I think some of this is due to various bugs in the code - the nature of the classification means that it's just a bunch of nested ifs. I also had a typo when calculating the lapse rate, causing altitudes drop the temperatures a lot more than they should.
  • All in all, this should be a good start to determining where certain resources (especially agricultural ones) are located.

No comments:

Post a Comment