June 15, 2018

Temperature I: Turn Up the Heat

I'm using the guidelines here, but I'm still looking for better ways to formulate the temperature. There is a lot of cold on my world, and a lot of hot, and not a lot of in-between. This has the potential to be pretty interesting, so I'm going to leave it for now. In such a world, control of the habitable zone would be very important.

However, most of the land is already in the southern hemisphere. I have a very deliberate north-south orientation. Many maps I see have a bias to show a vast sea to the west, no doubt tapping into cultural memories of the medieval period, or Cantre'r Gwaelod-type legends. Of course, Tolkien did us no favors with Lost NĂºmenor.

I'd post more of these maps, but opening in Inkscape gives my computer a heart attack, since Inkscape refuses to render using the GPU. WHY? (I hear it's a planned feature...).

Summer temperatures

Black is cold, grey is warmer. Yes, it's confusing, but I map the value of the pixel to the temperature. So 0 (black) is -47 F, all the way up to ~147 (grey) for 100 F. That makes the programming a little easier.

I do work on the rough map in color to make it easier to parse in my head.

Summer temperatures

No comments:

Post a Comment