May 28, 2018

Vegetation

What does the terrain look like?

For some, it is sufficient to define "forest" or "swamp." Of course, this is not good enough for my labor of love.

There are existing (more or less accurate) models of vegetation and biome coverage that are very detailed, such as the Global 200 or Kuchler's classification. The problem is that these are often descriptive models rather than prescriptive. That is, if I can physically observe a location, I can classify it. But that is not what I need, since the place I'm trying to classify does not exist except in my mind.

The solution most worldbuilders take is to use one of the older prescriptive models, like Holdridge, Whittaker, or Koppen (I'll use vegetation cover and biome somewhat interchangeably here, despite the technical inaccuracy). Holdrige and Koppen are attractive in particular because their inputs are numbers (such as temperature, precipitation) that are available to me. Koppen is more of a strict climate classfication, while Holdridge speaks more to what sorts of vegetation you'd actually see with boots on the ground.


There are some serious errors with the Holdridge system, particularly the fact that it is less accurate the further you are from the equator (it also displays three variables on the eponymous chart, but only two are necessary). However, those inaccuracies are not as important to me, since it's not like my work can be checked. However, the more pressing problem I see with the Holdridge system is that Dr. Holdridge never described what he actually meant by each category. For example, there is no category for grassland (which comprises much of the world's non-woody surface), but there is one for steppe. Are these the same? Steppe usually connotes a rough brush terrain, rather than a flowing meadow-grassland as might be found in the central United States. It's not that this is necessarily incorrect, since the prairie of North America, the scrub of Siberia, and the veld of South Africa are all technically steppe. However, in terms of descriptions to the players (which is of supreme importance), there is a big difference.

And here we start to see the problem with researching all these models. Given an area with grassland steppe, we can further classify those using the Laylock Classification. I'd like to avoid getting too much into the weeds (pardon the pun), but I'd like the option to add it into the system later if it will add useful detail.

Useful detail is the key. And understanding that boundary is crucial to not wasting time. I don't need to know that an area is classified as Kuchler #104, Appalachian oak forest. But is useful to know that this is the type of area where oak might be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment