February 4, 2022

Ex Nihilo V: Tectonics II

In the previous iteration, the tectonic plates were generated from a Voronoi algorithm, and thus had very straight edges. Here, I've made those more jagged, which should result in a more interesting coastal topography.

And it does! There is still a good deal of far-too-straight lines, but we can live with some of that. The ripple algorithm, which I'll tackle next, should help.

A bit of Gaussian blur:

Next, to closer approximate real-world distributions, I'll apply my hypsometric scaling.

Lastly, to get a feel for how this will shake out, I use the uplift values to generate a quick and dirty initial altitude map. The coastlines are a bit blobby, but I'm happy with this part of the process.

Getting the ripple algorithm to work will be my next order of business.

No comments:

Post a Comment