August 10, 2018

Currents II: Getting Tide of This

I'm so, so, sorry about the pun.

That being said, the current-code is coming along. Eventually, as usual, I found a way to cheat. The only time a current should cross the ocean (at least in the initial pass) is when it's being blown by a very powerful wind, which happens around the Equator and 45$^\circ$. Outside of that, the only valid locations I'm interested in right now are those right next to the coast.

So: check to see which neighboring hexes the water can flow into. If it's valid, go there. If you hit a coast, split.


There are, of course still some issues. For one, the cellular automaton can't seem to figure out what's going on at the folds. This is a pretty common problem for me, but it's the constraint I decided to live with.

Ah, much better

Once all the coastal currents have been figured out, I'll just interpolate between everything to find out what happens in open water. A gross oversimplification, of course.

Then I'll need to figure out how that affects the on-shore winds and the moisture they carry, as well as where the hot and cold currents are (right now all the colors are red but that's just for contrast).

No comments:

Post a Comment