July 25, 2018

Elevation VII: Getting There

The growth of terrain is very slow, so I'm looking into ways to improve it. In the meantime, the algorithms as they exist seem to work pretty well, but they hit a wall. I track the highest point, with the intention of stopping the algorithm when I have a maximum height mountain, but the algorithm enters an equilibrium around 9,000 feet.


I could, of course, let the algorithm run longer, but I'd rather fix the inefficiency than let it run for a few days. The erosion code takes a few seconds to run, but the basin-fixer takes up to an hour to grind everything down.


But before I spend all that time, I think I'll work on tectonic influences a little bit more. I'd like something more than the monotonic influence along the fault. Without any internal mountain forming processes (which can be formed by buckling inside the plate or by magma plumes that break through, like Yellowstone), I need to make up for that with clever treatment of the fault line.

No comments:

Post a Comment