July 4, 2018

Rivers III: Eroding the Coast

As I've continued to tweak the erosion system, I want to start working on how this erosion affects the coast. This is one of those projects that's big enough in scale that I don't even want to start; however, it's the perfect type of job to do when I'm hitting mental roadblocks elsewhere.

The first thing I did was identify all hexes lower than 50 feet. Next, I go through them and manually modify the coastline to include those hexes; if they're that low, the sea has encroached, or they've hit the water table.

A quick note: the height of the water table often means that lakes can be at very high altitude. There are some very clever ways to approximate this, but I'll leave those for another day.

Another note: while my system can deposit within my already-defined coasts (mostly seen as tectonic uplift), there is no mechanism to add new hexes to those in the land set. That might be a problem but again, not one I want to solve right now.


I'll repeat this process a few times, since I'm redoing the precipitation maps almost once a week now. Just cannot get them perfect. But the pursuit of perfection is itself a goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment