June 26, 2019

Detail VI: Lakes

Adding lakes was easy once I decided that I wasn't going to approach the beautiful detail of Undiscovered Worlds. All I need is a representation of a concept (which, at its heart, is the essence of a map anyway).

Low-quality lakes are easy to make. All I do is find where two rivers meet, then expand the lake around that point, flowing into any lower hexes. Usually, this means I end up with lots of long "lakes" which simply follow the river. This is a side effect of the terrain generation.


Still, small inconsistencies in the system are outweighed by its usefulness (and can always be addressed later). I can search over my 20-hex world map, find a place that looks interesting, and generate it quickly in detail.


One thing that inevitably comes to mind is just how much of this country is wild...but at the same time, there are a good number of scattered villages. How much conflict happens here between the humanoids and their encroaching civilization and the intelligent creatures who want to stay put? A good deal, I'll reckon. Not to mention, with a couple good scouts in your party, you might be able to hide from the law here for years. That's a lot of area to search.

I do have plans to implement a suggestion from Scott and blend the terrain edges together more smoothly.

Now if only I could get a proper SVG to PNG export...Inkscape is ok for some things but my installation has proved miserable when it comes to applying filters and blends.

1 comment: