May 25, 2018

Pressure I: Under Pressure

The pressure systems of Earth are deeply complex, as as the winds they generate.

All I need to know is that wind flows from high points to low points and is affected by the Coriolis Force.

Easy to say, easier to implement. I used the guide here to set my initial pressure map, then used Inkscape to transform that into SVG paths. I was at a loss at first when thinking about how to take a gradient map and turn it into a wind flow field, but then I realized that I could just discretize the paths (black to white for low to high) and "walk" along the edge of each one. That would give me a rough outline of vectors for my winds. Its rough, it's not the 20-mile level of detail I'd want, but it's computationally cheap (not a simple thing (on my middle tier machine) if I were to use 200k objects), and it gets me what I want.

Both the "summer" and "winter" maps are considered, as the pressure is distributed differently during each macroseason. For most of the climate-related stuff, I'll have two maps, one for each macroseason, because of the way that the climate classifications are usually defined.

Pressure map for July (or "summer")
Wind map for July (or "summer")

No comments:

Post a Comment