July 21, 2020

Pressure II

Update from here.

This time around, since I'm avoiding all manual input as much as possible, I can programmatically generate the pressure bands, at least a rough approximation of them.

The first step is pretty simple, I just apply the rules from this post to hexes which meet the correct criteria.

Then to smooth it out, I apply a box blur with a radius of 10 hexes to the pressure values (which are scaled between -1 and 1). I do this 3 times to approximate a Gaussian blur. Since I'm doing this on a hex grid, I haven't yet figured out any of the clever optimization tricks that are available for this approximation on a square grid.

January (winter in the north)

July (summer in the north)

For my next trick, I will try to avoid memory leaks while calculating wind flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment