July 15, 2019

Trade V: Money Makes the World Go Round

The fantasy economy runs on gold.

But gold is rare.

Yet trade still manages to happen. How?

My world is very disconnected. There are many separate networks which do not interact at all: the tech level is too low, the roads haven't been built, the markets aren't connected.

Many places do not have any gold at all.

But they have silver.

So what I've done is check each sub-network to see if gold is available. If it is, all is well. If not, we move to a silver standard. If (and this is more rare still), silver is not available either, I fix the price of chalcopyrite, since copper is a Stage 1 good (gold and silver are both Stage 0). If copper is not available, you're out of luck; for now anyway. If I add another precious metal it should be easy enough to go back and add it into this selector. So eventually, everyone should have something to base a coinage economy on.

I do think it might be worth it to adjust the rarity of gold. In the iteration I'm testing at the moment, I have 10 gold mines for 17,290 settled hexes. That's an occurrence of about 0.058%, whereas gold should be around 0.3%. Of course, there is more gold...it just hasn't been found yet. In reality, it's a little higher than the target, around 0.5%. I think I'll add a stronger effect on desirability since gold is so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment