January 10, 2019

Roads II

With the rough infrastructure map in hand, I wanted to be able to place roads between them. Then both systems could be fed back into the desirability model.

But as usual, there were some kinks to work out. There are a few constraints on the roads, such as climbing distance (too steep? penalty), altitude (particularly above 8000 ft, where the air is thin for those not acclimated), and of course overall length. Additionally, a hex must have a certain infrastructure threshold to even be considered for a road, and it's even higher for a bridge to cross a river.


I don't mind the jaggedness of the line - the hexes are huge, after all. It's the overlapping roads I want to avoid. So I fixed it to seek only the closest city for a road. This is similar to a minimum spanning tree, but not exactly. I want a non-optimal layout - the spread of populations shouldn't always make sense.




These maps also show how the infrastructure (red) is affected by local topography, which constrains it from spreading too far.

Now, I can feed both of these systems into desirability and start building more organic layouts (the cities I used here are just randomly selected).

No comments:

Post a Comment