January 23, 2019

Cities II: Names

Generating cities without names is so impersonal.

So I applied my Markov generator to them.

But I don't want them too similar to real-world names. So I decided to "mix" the models together.

For each race, I used the following recipes, with words taken from Swadesh lists (it's hard to find longer lists of more obscure words, but I'm continuously looking). I tried to pick interesting combinations, but I think this will need a lot more experimentation.

  • Orcish = Arabic + Somali. These might be too similar linguistically to give a good effect, but we will see. Qolim, Ishan, Hailid, Faris, Afalah
  • Elfish = Korean + Egyptian. And these might be too dissimilar. I've already noticed that one meme or another tends to dominate the name. Dohyungminseung, Miunghyun, Daehyeon, Petat, Aprieb
  • Dwarfish = Hmong + Egyptian. Khapet, Ziamakiuwel, Sualmayakam, Tirdjedjedi, Menkhteshi
  • Humanish = Welsh + Polish. Rznardir, Garybatawart, Nosty, Kwieb, Zhciach
  • Halflingish = Bokmal + Russian. Smalt, Ideryy, Flyondel, Mamme, Smannyy
Well, they're pronounceable, at least.

The models can be mixed even further, abstracting it into a second-order chain. So if a city is founded in a kingdom of 50% humans and 50% dwarfs, then I can create a combined chain from all the existing city names of those races.

1 comment:

  1. That is a pretty cool idea. Interested to see how this all comes together... especially city generation!

    ReplyDelete