April 9, 2018

Tectonics on the Map

The first thing to notice is that Earth has a ton of major and minor plates. It's much more complicated than I'm going to try and tackle, at least for now.

(As an aside, as I build this system up, it should be less of a pain to make and propagate changes in the future.)

I only have 11 major plates (and no minor plates). Most of these are concentrated in the northern hemisphere. Red indicates a convergent zone, blue a divergent zone, and green a subductive boundary (I'm using the word zone here to refer to the general area around the boundary, but it has a specific geologic meaning in this context that I'm ignoring).


I've also included the coasts on this image, if only to show how the coastline follows the dOO boundaries. Figuring out how the different convergent zones (which cause mountains) match with the divergents (which "push out" coastline) is an interesting exercise.

The file above is massive - at only 10 dpi, which is barely any detail, it's a 1.6 MB PNG. I have some serious thinking to do on the design considerations here. Each hex is designed at 100 px. At full resolution that would make the map 54 feet high. Enough detail for ya?

No comments:

Post a Comment